DANNY Egan’s injury-time leveller completed a remarkable comeback by Winsford at Squires Gate on Tuesday.

Blues had trailed 2-0 inside eight minutes, and were three goals adrift after an hour, but they battled back to earn a share of the spoils when the substitute fired in at the far post.

That had looked an unlikely outcome after Tarran Moxon netted twice for the hosts during the early exchanges.

He fired past goalkeeper Matthew Green to open the scoring after Andrew Richards had sent him clear.

Lee Duckworth’s men almost levelled when Jordan Johnson blasted against the crossbar, only for Gate to counter and Moxon left defenders trailing in his wake before beating Blues’ number one a second time.

Winsford thought they had halved the deficit when Johnson’s challenge on custodian Joseph Griffiths led to Nathan Cotterell sending the loose ball into the net.

However referee Lewis Smith judged the striker to have committed a foul.

Joseph Noblett then had two chances for the hosts, failing to get a touch on pinpoint crosses on both occasions, before half time.

The home team appeared to have settled the outcome after an hour when Moxon waltzed through to complete his treble.

Winsford were gifted a chance to score when Paul Alexander needlessly tripped Johnson, who picked himself up to score the resulting spot kick.

Captain James Rothwell then headed home from a corner five minutes later, prompting Blues to lay siege to their opponents’ goal.

Egan’s attempt was saved by Griffiths and substitute Sam Howell’s attempt narrowly missed the target before his fellow replacement gleefully blasted an equaliser with seconds on the clock.

Gate | Griffiths (GK), Richards, Carroll, Hall (Bamba 39), Rossall, Alexander, Waters, Fishwick (Higham 73), Moxon, Noblett, Ben Seear Subs not used Penswick, Richard Seear Goals Moxon 6, 8, 60 Booked Richards

Winsford | Green (GK), Perry (Egan 64), Duckworth, Rothwell, Parr, Middleton, Taylor, Jennings (Collins 87), Johnson, Cotterell, Steele Subs not used Hatton, Howell, Hull Goals Johnson 72 (penalty), Rothwell 77, Egan 90 Booked Middleton, Johnson

Referee Lewis Smith

Attendance 102

Match report by Bob Astles