FOLLOWING a run of three straight league defeats, Winsford United went into their game on a very wet Tuesday night against Wythenshawe Town looking for their first league victory in four games.

A bright start for the hosts saw the Blues go close in the opening minute – Joe Duckworth put Oliver McDonough away down the line but the winger’s pass was just a yard too far in front of Sam Madeley, allowing Morgan Bacon in the Wythenshawe goal to clear the danger.

The first shot on target of the game went the way of the visitors, but Steven Hewitt’s long-range effort was unable to trouble Winsford goalkeeper Jacob Kirwan.

Hewitt shot was on target again minutes later, a free kick on the edge of the box saw his effort parried at the first attempt but Kirwan was sharp to react to jump on the loose ball.

Having soaked up a lot of pressure, Winsford found themselves with a well-placed free kick on the edge of the area on the half-hour mark.

Madeley, who was fouled, dusted himself down to take the free-kick but his effort hit the wall.

In the final moments of the half, Wythenshawe went close from a corner but some good defending cleared the danger.

The visitors thought they had broken the deadlock in the final minute of the half but Jan Palinkas’ header was ruled out for climbing on a defender, sending the teams into the break with the game goalless.

The opening minutes of the second half carried on in the same fashion the first ended – a long ball was flicked into the path of Wythenshawe captain Matthew Bryan by Deane Smalley but Kirwan was equal to the effort with a great save.

Approaching the hour mark, Winsford thought they had taken the lead.

A wicked ball into the box from Duckworth found its way into the back of the net via the arm of Madeley, but it was rightly ruled out by the referee.

As players began to tire, chances came and went for both sides.

Bryan saw the ball ricochet and land at his feet but he blazed his effort over the bar from six yards out and Jardel Depeiaza then dragged his effort wide of the far post.

With the visitors going close, it was time for the Blues to search for the opening goal.

A corner curled into the near post caused mayhem in the box. Winsford players went up in arms claiming the ball had crossed the goalline, but both the referee and linesman disagreed.

The opening goal finally came with 14 minutes remaining, but it went the way of the visitors as Palinkas was on hand to tap home from a corner to give Wythenshawe the lead.