WINSFORD United’s recent Barton Stadium pitch works are going to be tested to the full over the next fortnight.

Club chiefs appealed for expert help in pitch maintenance to come forward after numerous postponements due to heavy rainfall causing waterlogging issues. Help has been at hand, including verti-draining of the pitch being carried out by Amenity Ground Services.

This is a process whereby a tractor tows a machine that has pins shooting in and out of the turf like pistons.

Blues will go into their schedule of four home games in 10 days with renewed confidence that the pitch is up to the job.

Runcorn Town will be the visitors in the North West Counties Premier Division on Saturday, 3pm, followed by Barnoldswick Town in the league on Monday, 7.45pm. The following Saturday Congleton will come to town and then on Monday, January 20, Winsford will host Hyde United in the second round of the Cheshire Senior Cup.

Lee Duckworth’s side will go into their busy schedule on the back of a 5-3 loss at Longridge Town on Saturday.

The exciting open game went Town’s way due to a few defensive lapses letting Blues down.

Winsford Guardian:

Winsford United celebrate a goal against Longridge. Picture: Kevin Wright

Sam Madeley gave Winsford a second-minute lead but the home side quickly responded through Ethan Kershaw and added two more goals before the break through Thomas Ince (32) and Ben Fletcher (37).

Paul Turner made it 4-1 11 minutes into the second half but Nathan Cotterell gave Winsford a lifeline a minute later.

In a crazy spell of quickfire goals, Kershaw struck his second a minute later for 5-2.

Madeley completed the scoring with his second in the 70th minute.

WINSFORD Saxons were below par in a 4-3 home win over Tarporley Vics at Knights Grange on Saturday.

Manager Gary Lee Jamieson reckons it was down to ring-rust after three weeks without a game over the festive period.

Jaymie Roberts fired Saxons ahead ahead, before Hayden Mills scored a wonderful free kick. The hosts broke quickly and Roberts bagged his second for 3-0 after 20 minutes.

Tarporley came strong near the end of the first half, and grabbed a goal in response. The visitors scored a breakaway goal to make it 3-2 in the second half.

Barry Jones calmly slotted home after a melee from a corner to restore the two-goal lead. Vics scored late to make it a tense final 10 minutes.

The reverse fixture with Tarporley takes place at Barony Park on Saturday. Saxons visit higher-league Nantwich Town in the rearranged Crewe and District FA Cup tie at Weaver Stadium on Wednesday, 7pm.