IN Sam Madeley, Winsford United have a striker in red-hot form.

As Blues take a break from league action to face Prestwich Heys in the Macron Cup on Saturday, kick off 3pm, they will be hoping Madeley continues the run that has seen him score back-to-back hat-tricks.

His latest treble ensured Avro left Barton Stadium on Saturday having been beaten 3-1 to make it 12 goals in 14 appearances and secure a fourth consecutive win for Lee Duckworth’s side.

If anything, the cup distraction could not have come at a worse time for Winsford, whose climb up the North West Counties League Premier Division table continues.

It took Madeley just five minutes to make an impact on Saturday as he headed home a superb cross from the equally in-form D’Arcy O’Connor to give Blues the lead.

That led to Winsford controlling the early stages with a lead to protect, but the visitors came more into the game as the half wore on.

A huge scuffle broke out on the stroke of half-time as both sides had a coach sent off, but that only served to fire Blues up after the break.

Just like in the first half, Duckworth’s men dominated the early stages and Madeley made his mark again with an excellent header.

With their lead doubled on the hour mark, Winsford would have hoped to see out the remainder of the contest with minimum alarm.

However, Lee O’Brien’s goal for Avro – firmly driven past Matthew Green in the Winsford goal – ensured the reality was the opposite.

Fortunately for the home crowd, Winsford’s defensive rigidity shone through as Avro only contrived to create a few half-chances.

As the game moved into injury time, Brendan O’Brien broke through the Avro defence and when he was dispossessed, the ball broke to Madeley to sweep home the winner and add to his collection of matchballs.

Following their Macron Cup tie, Winsford are due to return to league action with a trip to Bootle on Tuesday, kick off 7.45pm.

Meanwhile, Middlewich Town’s revival continued as they hammered Billinge 5-0 on Saturday.

Having won none of their first eight Cheshire Football League Premier Division games, the Witches have now triumphed in their past three league outings to move up to eighth in the table.

Dean Burgess had given the visitors a half-time lead before they stepped on the accelerator after the break, with James Smith doubling the lead 10 minutes after the restart.

Steven Hughes scored twice in as many minutes to put the result beyond all doubt before Rory Gorton added the final goal in the last minute.

The Witches are not scheduled for action until October 26, when they host Poynton.