PETE Watling completed a hat-trick with a stunning piece of opportunism as Winsford United thrashed Worksop Town to reach the FA Vase’s first round proper.

It is Blues’ biggest win in the competition since they dispatched Cheadle Town by the same score four years ago.

After surviving a couple scares during the early exchanges, when Matthew Reay was guilty of two glaring misses, they assumed control.

Watling swept in a loose ball midway through the first-half after goalkeeper David Reay had blocked his initial attempt from Scott Taylor’s cross.

At the other end, Matthew Reay sent a tame header straight at custodian Jack Cookson.

Tomas Poole was unlucky to see his chipped attempt drop wide but Kyle Jordan, his teammate, was wasteful when he had a clear sight of goal.

Blues buried their guests during the second-half, and David Reay produced a fine save to deny Dave Short.

Taylor’s effort then flashed narrowly wide after substitute Tom Fisher sent the ball his way via Watling.

Winsford moved further in front on 67 minutes when Short steered a smart finish under Worksop’s number one after running clear on the left.

Fisher than laid off for Watling to fire in a third goal with power that put the home team out of their opponents’ reach.

Watling saved his best until last, winning possession just inside the visitors’ half before immediately launching a perfectly-executed lob over a stricken Reay and into the net.

Fisher than capped an impressive cameo by scoring Winsford’s fifth goal following a fine run by Sam Marshall.

Dean Clarke might have piled on the misery for a demoralised Worksop, but the ball squirmed out of his control when he appeared certain to make it 6-0.

By then, the contest had long since been over.

Blues | Cookson (GK), Fowles, Clarke, Hopper, Lee Duckworth, Henson, Taylor (Daniels 79), Howell (Fisher 57), Watling, Short, Marshall Subs not used Koral, Newman, Joe Duckworth Goals Watling 23, 73, 83, Short 67, Fisher 86 Booked Hopper, Lee Duckworth, Fisher

Tigers | David Reay (GK), Woolley, Trench, Wilson, Matthew Reay, Pemberton, Patterson, Goodwin (Simpson 57), Poole (Sykes 57), Jordan (Mitchell 57), Price Subs not used Royles, Brunt

Referee Dan Locker

Attendance 150