WINSFORD United’s late pressure went without a reward it probably deserved when they hosted table-topping Runcorn Town on Monday night.

Blues, trailing at the interval, had fallen further behind when Mark Reed’s header converted Liam Turner’s long throw early in the second-half.

They ought to have halved their arrears straightaway, but Danny Kerr fluffed a glorious chance after goalkeeper Adam Reid had spilled Dave Short’s fiercely-struck free-kick.

Lee Duckworth’s side did reopen the contest on 73 minutes when captain Will Foster stooped to nod in Scott Taylor’s cross.

Kerr had another clear sight of goal after running clear, only to shoot straight at Reid.

The visitors’ custodian saved another Short set-piece next to an upright before Winsford’s time ran out.

They had survived a scare during the opening exchanges when Shaun Weaver, picked out by another Turner throw, headed over when well-placed.

Ryan Hopper’s powerful attempt at the other end was deflected to safety before Sam Marshall’s driven cross flashed in front of Michael Koral with the front man poised.

Instead Runcorn took the lead when captain Simon Thelwell’s glancing header found the net.

Reed doubled Town’s lead in the same way five minutes after the interval.

There was concern too for Winsford when Steve Jenyons left the field on a stretcher, although his injury is not thought to be as serious as first feared.

Blues resume a quest to record a first victory of the campaign when they visit Silsden on Saturday, kick-off 3pm.

Blues | Langley (GK), Cook, Lee Duckworth, Kerr, Jenyons (Clarke 53), Foster, Taylor (Fowles 88), Hopper, Koral (Collins 81), Short, Marshall Subs not used Woolley, Joe Duckworth Goal Foster 73 Booked Marshall (foul)

Town | Reid (GK), Turner, Carberry (Dobson 67), Sheppard, James, Rodgers, McManus, Weaver, Reed, Lewis (Irlam 88), Thelwell Subs not used McGregor, Jarrett, Matthews Goals Thelwell 44, Reed 50 Booked Reid, Carberry, Sheppard, Weaver, Reed, Lewis

Referee Paul Stonier

Attendance 194