FIRE crews have been thanked for preventing a ‘well alight’ blaze from spreading to nearby houses.

Firefighters remained at the scene of an outhouse blaze overnight after crews were called yesterday, Saturday, at 4.29pm to Brookhouse Lane, Congleton.

Pictures show that part of the outhouse was burned down in the fire.

Crews from Congleton, Sandyford Staffordshire appliance, Macclesfield, Crewe and Alsager all tackled the flames over the last day with a high-pressure hose reel jet, a main jet and two hose reels. 

Residents from neighbouring properties were evacuated as a precaution last night.

The area has been scanned using a thermal imaging camera and no hot spots have been identified.

On Twitter, a spokesperson for Congleton Fire Station said: “Congleton fire crews would like to thank SandyfordFire Staffordshire appliance, Macclesfield, Crewe and Alsager for their hard work dealing with a fire in Congleton earlier today.

“Great work by all prevented the fire from spreading to houses nearby.”