JOE Duckworth and Daniel Boden helped Winsford United to their first win of the season at home against Burscough.

All game the attacking duo of Duckworth and Boden proved to be too strong for Burscough to control as a 3-1 success was achieved.

Two goals from Boden either side of one from Duckworth capped off a very impressive win for the Blues.

After an opening day league defeat against Charnock Richard, Blues responded with an entertaining 4-4 draw against Macclesfield.

Winsford were hoping it was third time lucky against an inconsistent Burscough side.

However, the visitors almost got off to the perfect start in the opening minutes. A magnificent goal line block from Matty Russell denied Burscough from taking the lead.

After a frantic start, the hosts were able to settle themselves into the game. Joe Duckworth linked up well with Daniel Boden who forced the Burscough keeper into an early save.

Boden was involved again minutes later winning a free kick down the right-hand side, Matty Boland found Steve Jenyons in the middle but the Blues captain couldn’t keep his header down.

It didn’t take long until Blues opened the scoring. Duckworth received the ball just inside the opposition half, he by-passed two Burscough defenders with ease before putting Boden through on goal who made no mistake finding the bottom corner.


Having taken the lead in the 14th minute Winsford dominated possession with the majority of attacking threat coming down the right through Lewis Rowley and Russell.

It was that partnership that created a shooting opportunity for Boland but as he set his sights on goal he was hacked down on the edge of the area. From the resulting free-kick Duckworth’s shot lacked power to test Jack Reynolds in the Burscough goal.

After an early scare in the first half, Winsford saw themselves lead 1-0 at the break. With the chances Lee Duckworth’s side had created in the opening 45 minutes he would be disappointed his team weren’t ahead by more at the half.

Within seconds of the restart Winsford nearly doubled their lead.

The ball fell kindly to Matty Coughlin on the edge of the box but his effort was deflected just over the crossbar.

Burscough almost capitalised on the missed opportunity with their first threatening attack of the second half. Joshua Quarless fed Vincent Bailey on his left but Bailey’s effort hit the side netting.

Again, after having a nervous moment in defence, Winsford reacted in the best way possible.

Reynolds’ goal kick was flicked into the path of Boden by Duckworth. The Winsford number 11 saw his effort come off the underside of the crossbar and into the back of the net for his second.

Two quickly became three for Winsford.

A mistake by the Burscough goalkeeper allowed Boden to turn provider. He took full advantage of a poor control by Reynolds to find Duckworth in the middle who had the simplest off finishes into an empty net.

In the 73rd minute Duckworth found Boden again with the pass over the top of the defence. With the goalkeeper rushing out to close the angle the Winsford man attempted to lift the ball into the empty goal but his effort was just too hard landing on the roof of the net.

Burscough did manage to pull a goal back in stoppage time through Luke Denson. But that didn’t put a dampener on a dominant Winsford performance.

Winsford will now look to take that form into their midweek home game against Ashton Athletic on Tuesday night.