MANAGER Peter Hughes says winning the title would be a ‘massive achievement’ for his team.

Middlewich Town Reserves are one win or two draws away from doing that with games to spare.

This follows Saturday’s 3-1 win at FC St Helens in Cheshire Football League Reserve Division One.

“We now need two points from three games to claim the league title which is a massive achievement given the hurdles this season has thrown at us,” said Hughes, reflecting on a campaign that was brought to a halt by the Covid-19 national lockdown from December 19 to April 3.

Such is their significant goal difference advantage over Poynton Reserves, who are 14 points behind with two games in hand, one draw may even be enough to seal the title but the Witches will not be settling for that after a sequence so far of 13 wins, two draws and no losses.

It could all be put to bed when FC St Helens visit Seddon Street this Saturday, which will be their final fixture behind closed doors, or when Garswood visit on May 29 or away to Eagle Sports on June 3.

At third-placed St Helens at the weekend, Tom Stanton broke free on the left and squared the ball for Ben Brown to fire home.

Brown followed up a shot from skipper Matty Cann and as the keeper pushed it out he smashed the ball home for a 2-0 half-time lead.

The second half was six minutes old when Scott Taylor cut inside his full back and curled a 25-yard shot over the keeper into the far corner.

St Helens scored a last-gasp penalty given after Elliot Booth collided with a St Helens forward.

“They had us pinned back for the opening 20 and we found it hard to get hold of the ball,” said Hughes.

“We scored against the run of play and controlled the game from there on.”

Meanwhile, promotion chasing Winsford Saxons struggled to defeat Chester and Wirral Championship B bottom side Orange Athletic 2-1 on Saturday.

Dean Mundy fired them ahead after 15 minutes from a free kick but the expected opening of the floodgates did not materialise.

Saxons dominated the possession but were wasteful with their chances.

Orange dug in and levelled with a 78th-minute penalty.

James Cain powered a header home for an 85th-minute winner.

“A reminder that nothing is going to be given to us in these remaining games,” said manager Gary Lee Jamieson.

Saxons visit Poulton Vics on Saturday.

“We beat them 9-0 in the reverse fixture, however last weekend is a remainder that we need to take every single game serious if we’re to achieve anything,” added Jamieson.