WINSFORD Saxons issued a statement of intent in their return to football action at the weekend.

In what was their first match in the Chester and Wirral League since December, they defeated Chester Nomads 4-0 at Knights Grange with smiles on their faces.

“It feels good to be back, and back with a bang,” said manager Gary Lee Jamieson.

“A convincing, controlled 4-0 win.”

Saxons lie third on the table as a result and there is a buzz of excitement surrounding their aim for the rest of this truncated season.

Jamieson highlighted how the team had prepared for the game, with Covid-19 lockdown restrictions having been lifted for outdoor organised sport five days earlier.

“We trained Monday and Wednesday and it was great to be back on the grass,” he said.

“The lads have eight more games to try and get the title.

“Top of the league Duddon lost so it’s closed the gap and there’s a sense of something could happen.

“The lads have really shown they have missed the game. Those first 30 minutes on Saturday were arguably our best this season – it was literally relentless.

“Credit to each of the lads out there, because the pitch was big, it was a hot day, the effort was unquestionable. They know what can happen for us this season.

“Getting real winning characters back in the fold like Dean Mundy and Greg Lumsden will give us that extra 10 per cent when legs are getting heavy.

“We have a weekend off so we have a good solid two weeks to get ready for Nesto,n who we beat 5-0 away on the opening day.”

Saxons flew out of the traps against Nomads, with captain John Buckley heading them ahead from a Ben Curbishley corner after eight minutes.

Four minutes later it was 2-0 when Jaymie Roberts pounced on a defensive mistake to slide home from just inside the area.

A well worked free kick brought the third goal on 22 minutes when Mundy latched on to Lumsden’s well disguised pass to fire home.

The second half remained one-way traffic, with the ever dangerous Callum Herbert causing all kinds of trouble with his powerful runs.

Lumsden tapped in from close range after a goalkeeping mistake to wrap up the scoring.

Saxons’ next outing against Neston is on April 17.