CREWS have tackled a major fire at the former bingo hall in Dingle Lane.

At its height, eight fire engines were dealing with the blaze at Winsford Drill Hall, having been called out shortly before 2.30pm today, February 7.

Residents were evacuated from nearby homes, while housholds in Dingle Lane and Dene Drive advised to keep their windows closed.

A number of road closures were in place in High Street, Dingle Lane, Drumber Road, Weaver Street and Dene Drive.

The fire has been extinguished and firefighters will remain at the scene throughout the night.

Zanderenzo Bennion shot video of the fire (see film clip at top of the article). He told Winsford Guardian: "It was just a shock to see. All I wanted was to go Asda for food but was given a shocking surprise."

A Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said: "Firefighters were called to reports of a fire at a disused building on Dingle Lane.

"The fire was located on the ground floor with smoke issuing from all three floors."

Winsford Guardian:

Picture of the fire by Phil Vernon 

"Crews are tackling the flames from three sectors and using a main jet and a high pressure hose reel.

"A number of people have been evacuated from houses nearby as a safety precaution."

Tarporley Police have released a statement on Facebook to say the smoke from the fire was "carrying asbestos."

They said: "Huge fire broke out at the old bingo hall in Winsford, please avoid the area, roads are closed.

"Be aware that smoke is carrying asbestos."

Winsford Labour Team said in a statement tonight: "We are saddened by today's fire damage to the old Drill Hall on Dingle Lane.

"Cheshire West & Chester Council is working with emergency services & partner agencies to make sure residents who have been evacuated from their homes are supported.

"Councillors are monitoring the situation and will update residents as further information becomes available.

"This is an ongoing incident and the priority is to stabilise the building and ensure the safety of nearby residents."