A WASHING machine caught fire at a house in Middlewich.

Firefighters were called to George VI Avenue shortly before 2.45pm yesterday.

Crews discovered light smoke logging the property but the fire was out when they arrived.

READ > Kings Lock and Red Lion offer 50 per cent off food

Firefighters assessed the temperature of the washing machine using a thermal imaging camera and then moved it to a safe place outside.

The fire is believed to have been caused by an electrical fault.

Crews were at the scene for around 20 minutes.