LOOKING at a few more of Winsford’s lost pubs. This article will be the third in the series looking at some of our pubs that have now closed or assumed other uses.

Today we will stay in Over and see where our thirsty Winsfordians had to quench their thirst.

Mainly if they worked in the salt industry as the majority did in those long-gone years. In the last issue, the establishments called Beerhouses were explained and how some were forced to close in return for compensation.

While perusing a local paper from 1954, I came across the case of the Old Star that was applying for a full licence. Before that, it could not sell spirits. The appeal was granted, and it has had a full licence ever since.

The High Street/Over Lane had around ten Beerhouses and pubs, and now all have gone.

So starting at the bottom, we had The Foresters Arms at 34/36 High Street.

Winsford Guardian:

In the photo taken in 1892 shown here Samuel Blackburn is the licensee and between the opening in 1841 and closing in 1913 four Blackburns were mine host out of a total of six incumbents. Samuel from 1841 to 1895.

Next door is the Fox and Hounds, at 30/32 High Street, this opened in 1869 and closed in 1919.

Winsford Guardian:

In this case, the Stonely family provided most of the tenants with William, Mary and James Stonley out of a total of five tenants.

Now to a more substantial pub, The Weavers Arms at 115 High Street, it was opened in 1871 with John Blackburn as the tenant and having had 12 licensees it closed in 1933 when under Thomas Lowe.

Winsford Guardian:

The licensee in this 1891 photograph is Joseph Walker.

There is just one more pub that has not already been featured to mention, that is The Golden Lion on the High Street.

It has now been demolished. It was opened in 1810 as The Bowling Green and was purchased in 1891 by Greenall Whitley.

Winsford Guardian:

Over the years it was renamed and altered, leaving the beautiful building that it was when closed and demolished in August 2019, this despite appeals for it to be preserved.

However, in these days when pub custom is dwindling, it had to join the many once-thriving pubs that suffered demolition.

The next look at Winsfords lost pubs will cover Delamere Street and its surrounds.

Paul Hurley has a popular Facebook Group titled Mid Cheshire Through Time and all are welcome. His next book on Chester will be in the shops shortly.