THIS week we dip into the old days of Winsford and take a look at a few of the pubs that have now gone, pubs that catered for the hard-working Winsford clientele in those years so long ago.

Let’s have a look at the ones that once graced the town centre side of Winsford High St.

First to the lower High Street at the junction with Weaver Street were at number 27, we find the Bulls Head with Mrs Mary Blackburn as the tenant. It closed in 1919, some have it listed as Weaver Street which is also correct.

Winsford Guardian:

Bulls Head and Parrs Bank, 1892

Next is The Rechabites Rest that was situated on the junction of the High Street and Dingle Lane at the end of a row of terraced cottages.

During Victorian times temperance was a virtue, drink caused many problems, and temperance organisations were popular.

One such organisation was called The Rechabites who named themselves after the people in The Book of Jeremiah, strict teetotallers.

A farmer opened the pub in 1871. The teetotal community criticised him for serving his workers in the fields with beer. So giving that name to a pub would now be called cynical.

It was closed in 1973 and demolished sometime later to make way for the dual carriageway.

Staying in High Street, we go to what is now the bus stop at the shopping centre. This was the location of the White Swan at Number 289.

It was opened in 1869 as the Red Cow and became The White Swan in 1885. It closed in 1964 – the licence was then transferred to the new White Swan on the Wharton estate, now also closed.

Winsford Guardian:

The White Swan, circa 1964

The next pub was the Butchers Arms at number 333 that was opened in 1872 and closed in 1911.

Further up the High St and we come to the Weaver Arms at number 115, open from 1871 to 1933, almost opposite Siddorn Street.

Next was the Queen’s Arms on the corner of Dean Drive, it was opened in 1864 and not really closed, but rebuilt in Dene Drive.

Winsford Guardian:

The old Queen's Arms

No photograph here but situated off the High Street, is Dean Street, one of several similar terraced streets in the area.

At the other end of Dene Street was the Spinners Arms pub at No 42, closed in 1935.

We are continuing until we reach the junction with Geneva Road and on the corner another Bulls Head.

This one was opened in 1890 and closed in the early 1970s to make way for the dual carriageway.