STAFF were evacuated from a Winsford petrol station after an air conditioning unit overheated.

Firefighters were called to the premises in Delamere Street shortly before 10am this morning following  reports of smoke and a smell of burning from the shop.

Staff had been evacuated as a precaution.

Crews used a thermal imaging camera crews and discovered an air conditioning plant was overheating . They isolated the electrics and continued to monitor the temperature.

An electrician was called to investigate the cause of the problem.