THE devastated daughter of a Leftwich man who died from coronavirus is urging the community to stay at home to stop other families suffering the same heartache.

Neville Abberley, originally from Elworth, began feeling unwell after returning from a trip to Llandudno earlier this month, where he had been celebrating his 83rd birthday with his wife Wyn.

After suffering a cough and recording a temperature of 39.4 degrees celsius, he was took to Leighton Hospital by paramedics for a suspected water infection.

But after he tested positive for COVID-19 last Tuesday, Neville's daughter Lynda Hubbard was told the case was serious last Thursday, and he died at hospital on Sunday afternoon.

"It’s just a horrible life experience that I would hate to happen to anybody," Lynda told the Guardian

"My dad was such a social person. He was a fit and healthy man who did not look his age."

Neville was a cricket umpire who was looking forward to returning for a 41st season this year, while he played bowls for Davenham and recently retired as a volunteer with the British Red Cross after 11 years.

Winsford Guardian:

He previously served as chairman of Winsford United and ran JB Billingtons printing business in Wharton Road, Winsford.

He leaves behind daughter Lynda, five step-children, and three children from a previous marriage, plus 20 grandchildren, 23 great-grandchildren and five great-great-grandchildren.

Neville cared for Wyn, who has suffered with a reduced lung capacity following a car accident back in 1992.

She turned down the chance to see her husband in hospital over fears she would be at risk of catching the coronavirus and is now in self-isolation.

"We knew that dad would have wanted mum and the whole family to be safe," said Lynda.

"My mum is really anxious now about developing COVID-19 – she has respiratory issues anyway, and it is just horrible.

"I can't go to visit her until she has finished isolating. She is all on her own and for an 82-year-old that is not good.

Winsford Guardian:

"It is hard now because we are making the funeral arrangements and we can only have 10 people at the funeral but we will have a big memorial service to celebrate his life once this is all over."

Neville had kept in touch with relatives online using an iPad before he died.

Lynda last spoke to him last Wednesday, a day before she was told her dad had the most serious strain of the coronavirus, before his condition rapidly worsened.

Families across the country are being urged to stay at home to prevent the spread of COVID-19, helping to ease the pressure on our NHS and save more lives.

Lynda added: "People just need to realise that this is serious. Get a grip, be safe and stay at home. 

"It is just awful. Whenever I speak to the nurses at Leighton they are absolutely devastated. 

"They are working so hard and we cannot thank them enough. I know dad was well cared-for in hospital and it is comforting to know that.

"Please take this seriously because it is not fun. This is real and it is devastating.”

For the latest guidance visit