A MAN has been airlifted to hospital after a gas explosion at his home in Winsford.

Firefighters were called to a bungalow on Plover Avenue at 8.15am this morning.

Crews found that there had been a gas explosion in the kitchen.

A neighbour had isolated gas to the property.

Firefighters ventilated the bungalow and and were at the scene for around two hours.

The occupant of the property has been taken to the Royal Stoke Hospital by air ambulance.

A spokesman for Cheshire Police said: "His injuries are not believed to be life threatening.The cause of the explosion is believed to be accidental."

READ > Children launch their own mini police force to make Winsford a better community

North West Ambulance Service NHS Trust confirmed that they received a call shortly after 8am this morning and sent an ambulance, rapid response vehicle and air ambulance to the scene.

A spokesman for North West Ambulance Charity said: “We can confirm that we were called out to an incident in the Winsford area on Friday, December 13 at 08.49. The incident occurred on a private property.”