FIREFIGHTERS rescued a man from a fire at The Old Star pub in Winsford in the early hours of the morning.

Four fire engines from Winsford, Northwich, Crewe and Tarporley were sent to the pub in Swanlow Lane at 5.32am to find the premises on fire.

Firefighters immediately set about rescuing a man from an upstairs window and had to break the window to get him out.

The man has now been sent to hospital.

A spokesman for Cheshire Fire Service said: “Firefighters were called to reports of a fire in a pub on Swanlow Lane, Winsford. The fire appeared to be coming from a tumble dryer, and crews immediately set about rescuing one male from an upstairs window, who was then passed to the care of paramedics and taken to hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation.

“The fire was quickly brought under control and extinguished by six firefighters wearing breathing apparatus and using three hose reel jets.

“An investigation into the fire is under way, and a road closure on Swanlow Lane has remained in place while crews check for further hotspots throughout the premises.”