FIRE crews were called to an overheating washing machine in Seddon Street yesterday at 2.15pm.

One fire engine attended from Middlewich. A spokesperson for the Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service said: "Shortly after 2.15pm firefighters were called to a report of smoke coming from a washing machine at a house in Seddon Street, Middlewich.

"The crew moved the overheated washing machine from the kitchen to the back garden.

"Firefighters then cooled the washing machine down with water and monitored its temperature with a thermal imaging camera.

"Once they were satisfied that the washing machine was safe they left the scene.

"Firefighters were in attendance for around 45 minutes."

For more information on washing machine safety visit the