AN iron, left on a kitchen hob, caused a Winsford flat to become smokelogged yesterday evening, Saturday.

A fire crew from Winsford was called out to Dutch Close at 5.11pm, to reports of a fire.

After forcing entry to the flat, they found smoke inside.

A Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said: "On arrival the crew discovered that an iron had been left on top of an electrical cooker hob causing smoke in the flat.

"Firefighters isolated the electricity supply to the cooker and used a large fan to clear the smoke from the property."

Firefighters were at the scene for around two hours and 20 minutes.