A MOTORIST smelled of alcohol after a crash that caused the death of a popular businessman, a court has heard.

Paul Greenwood is currently standing trial charged with causing the death of Winsford businessman Raf Khan, owner of the Warrington Service Centre on Church Street, by careless driving in April last year.

Yesterday, Monday, Chester Crown Court heard that Mr Khan was killed in a crash in Lower Whitley on Wednesday, April 19 2017.

The 47-year-old was riding a Kawasaki motorbike along Tarporley Road shortly after 7pm on that evening, when he was involved in a fatal collision with a white Volkswagen Scirocco being driven by the defendant.

Greenwood, from Duddon, turned right out of Pillmoss Lane onto the A49 and into the path of Mr Khan – who was driving northbound in the direction of Warrington, having originally set out from his home in Winsford.

After the vehicles collided, Mr Khan was thrown from his motorbike and landed in the road.

The 39-year-old defendant got out of his car and was heard by witnesses to say: “I just didn’t see him.”

He was spoken to at the scene by police, and passed a breathalyser test despite officers believing that he smelled of alcohol.

Greenwood was arrested on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving after Mr Khan was pronounced dead at the scene and was later charged with causing death by careless driving – a charge which he denies.

A post-mortem investigation found that Mr Khan had died of multiple injuries sustained in the crash.

The trial, before judge Steven Everett, heard that visibility was ‘generally good’ on the evening in question and several witnesses estimated that Mr Khan was driving at between 55mph and 60mph with his headlights on – with the speed limit on the A49 being 60mph.

Mr Khan had managed to slow his speed 'considerably' to between 30mph and 40mph before the collision.

Greenwood, who was driving home from Warrington after work, would have been able to see around 110 metres to his right – a distance that would have taken Mr Khan between four and four-and-a-half seconds to travel.

Winsford Guardian:

The view looking right from Pillmoss Lane onto the A49, Tarporley Road - picture by Google Maps

Under interview, he told police that he was ‘very familiar’ with the area, and that his view to the right was obstructed by a building.

He remembered looking to his right, looking to his left and looking to his right again but seeing nothing and pulling out.

Greenwood said that he then heard a loud bang, and only realised what had happened when he saw Mr Khan’s motorbike.

Prosecuting barrister Peter Hussey told the court: “The defendant failed at any time to see or give way to Mr Khan’s oncoming motorbike, him having priority on the main road – the defendant turned right into his path when it was unsafe to make that turn.

“The defendant should have seen the approaching motorcycle – it was there to be seen.

“If the defendant didn’t see it, he either didn’t look or he didn’t look properly – or he should have edged closer to give himself a better look.

“Clearly, if the defendant had moved out a bit further he would have seen him – if he was looking to his right as he turned right, he surely would have seen him.

“The defendant has not driven with the care and attention that he should have done – he has not looked or positioned himself properly.”

Family members of both Greenwood and Mr Khan were present in court on Monday afternoon.

A statement released by Mr Khan’s family following his death said: “We are devastated at the loss of Raf and understand that so many people knew him.

“We request our family can grieve in private and we appreciate everyone’s condolences at this difficult time.”

The trial continues, and is expected to last until late this week.