A KITCHEN fire which took hold in Cledford Lane this morning has been passed onto the police.

Firefighters were called to the incident at 3.40am today, Tuesday, and needed breathing apparatus to tackle the blaze.

Fire crews from Middlewich and Sandbach attended the fire.

A Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said: "In the early hours of this morning firefighters were called to a kitchen fire on the ground floor of a two storey house on Cledford Lane in Middlewich.

"Crews used two breathing apparatus, one hose reel and a covering jet to put out the blaze.

"Firefighters also used stage one ventilation to clear the premises of smoke and ensure the scene was safe.

"The incident has been handed to Cheshire Police."